Sunday, June 24, 2007

Chaos and order in teaching and research

Chaos and order in teaching and research
By Jan-Eric Mattsson & Håkan Lättman

Read: June 22 2007.

The full reference to this article is: Mattsson JE, Lättman H. 2004. Chaos and order in teaching and research. Acta Univ. Ups. Symb. Bot. Ups. 34(1), 245-255. This particular volume of the monographical series was dedicated to Prof. Leif Tibell on his 60th birthday.

The authors state in the abstract that in the article they present experiences from teaching evolution and a program for further course development, leading on to a discussion. Also, they present data from different lichen studies in order to stimulate the generative reflection of the reader. Finally, possible interpretations and ideas of forthcoming projects are presented.

I have read it. I understand most of it. I can not find any ideas for forthcoming projects, and I am mostly irritated by the language, it is much too complicated for me. This is the nth time I have read it. One idea from this article, I have used over the past few years in my teaching is the idea of chaos as a starting point for the studnet in order to be inspired, think, and create order to gain knowledge. I realise that I am writing this too complicated, but, who cares?!

2 comments:

Martin said...

Har också läst denna artikel vars titel lovar så mycket. Milt förbryllad insåg jag att detta var på en nivå ovanför mig. Eller bortom, eller i alla fall nån helt annanstans.

Xanthoria said...

Bra att du blev förbryllad! Det var nog meningen! För då kan du börja jobba med temat och få ordning på det!