Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reading in May

I went to the library today and returned all borrowed books. So far in May, I have read:
Library Books
Douglas, Scott. Quiet, Please. Dispatches from a Public Librarian (most of it read at the hospital)
Linderborg, Åsa. Mig äger ingen (about growing up in Västerås in the 1970’s, working class: I liked it and read it twice)
Houllebecq, Michel. Whatever (up to now, I’ve read three-quarters of this sad little book)

Own (pocket) books
von Rosen, Björn. Samtal med en nötväcka (for the umpteenth time, it’s lovely)
Hustvedt, Siri. The Sorrows of an American (her latest novel, which I bought at the hospital kiosk. I really enjoyed it and read it slowly)

From Bergen Offentlige Bibliotek I borrowed two books today:
De Lillo, Don. Falling Man (September, 11)
Pamuk, Orhan. Other Colors. Essays and a Story (includes among many other things his Nobel Lecture My Father’s Suitcase)

I plan to explore two authors this summer: Mare Kandre and Orhan Pamuk.

Mare Kandre
I watched the documentary and realised that I probably only read one or two of her early novels in the 1980’s. Probably, I stopped reading her literature because it was frightening – the depression was close. Since it is a closed authorship (”avslutat författarskap”), it could be a possible reading project. And I can protect myself from the scary and horrible feelings by always keeping that perspective: It is a reading project and I am supposed to make a short summary of each book! I will read them in chronological order.

Orhan Pamuk
He is a writer who writes thick books and I am attracted by thick books (cf J.R. Rowling). He is a Nobel Prize Winner in Literature (2006), and I should try to read them, I think. I hope this collection of essays and very short texts will make a good start for exploring his authorship. For a long time, I have been pondering over which novel I should begin to read. Inside this book is a list. It says: Also by Orhan Pamuk
Istanbul
Snow
My Name Is Red
The White Castle
The Black Book
The New Life
---

No comments: