Thursday, May 11, 2023

Dooced

Dooced: Getting fired because of something that you wrote in your weblog.

Blogger Heather B. Armstrong coined the phrase in 2002, after she was fired from her Web design job for writing about work and colleagues on her blog, Dooce.com.

Dooce was one of the first blogs I ever read, in the early to mid 2000s. It was witty and sparked joy to read, and gave me some hope in the darkest days of my life. In the last 10 years or so, I haven't followed her regularly. And now she is dead, 47 years old...

Here are some words from Rolling Stone magazine.

And here are some words from her, a year ago:
"Are you still with me? I hope so. Because I need you to stick around. I need you understand that bestselling books and wikipedia pages and three-page spreads in People magazine tell you nothing about who I really am. The photos I’ve taken while exploring the world with organizations and celebrities and various lovers, they don’t tell you that when I traveled by plane I always checked two suitcases filled with liquid and I knew exactly how much I could pack so that those bags didn’t exceed the weight limit.

The significance of the two decades I spent being heralded and acclaimed as Queen of the Mommy Bloggers hangs in the balance as I admit all of this to you. I have everything to lose. Except, it’s already lost. Those decades are now just words on a screen. There is nothing left but a whimper inside the husk of what it was all supposed to mean."

Edit: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2023/05/heather-armstrong-aka-dooce-has-died/

No comments: